Monday, March 2, 2009

Tattoos

I want a tattoo. I've wanted one for awhile. It all started last year one day when Meghan wanted me to come watch the jv girls at one of her high schools play basketball. Ugh. There are few things less enjoyable than watching freshmen and sophmore girls try to play basketball. Well Jamie Deal got talked into going as well and so we were off to the middle of nowhere, Chatham County. On the way, Jamie and I decided that we needed to do something exciting to make this trip worthwhile, so I decided I wanted a tattoo and she wanted a nose ring. I think we tried to call a few places and asked if there were any tattoo parlors in Chatham Co. Go figure we couldn't find any. So we gave up our dreams momentarily. (Incidently, the basketball game totally sucked, but it was lots of fun being obnoxious and cheering for the opposing team!)

My dream of getting a tattoo were brought back to life when I went to Atlanta one weekend and Kris and I talked about tattoos. The entire weekend Brent and I pushed Kris on it and finally when the day arrived, he woosed out and we went and played trivia instead. (that's the short version of the story) Of course he did go back and now he has two.

AJ just got a tattoo and while part of me doesn't want to get a tattoo right now, b/c I don't want to look like a bandwagonner, I realize technically I was the first to actively seek getting a tattoo and therefore no one should suggest I'm getting one simply b/c my other friends have them.

The dove that appears on my blog is the tattoo I want. I want just a black outline of this particular dove. I want the dove tattoo because its a symbol for peace, which is really important to me. I hope that when I die, more than anything else, I hope people will say I was a peacemaker and someone who sought to bring reconciliation to the world. I admittedly recognize I've got a long way to go on this peacemaking journey, but I think the dove is one way that I can express this deep conviction.

At this point the only thing that is holding me back from getting the tattoo is deciding where to put it... There are some obvious places it will not go! But I'm torn between putting it on a shoulder blade or on my foot/ankle. I've thought about the place on my arm where Ece has her tattoo, but I actually might be to big of a baby to have it put there...

Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. yeah i think i like the ankle, but some ankle tattoos look really trashy...so if i did ankle, it would probably have to be low ankle, like close to that big bone that juts out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aj commented via email and said my arm...but i'm pretty sure that's not going to happen. he also suggested i could get it where jen brisson has hers, but i think i want to be able to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what if you did right below your ankle but on your foot? does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete