Sunday, March 15, 2009

If I should die before I wake...

So last night as me and the boys sat around discussing death and funerals, etc, I decided to take this opportunity to express my wishes just in case for some reason I don't live much longer! ( I told you already, that when I was growing up, I thought I would die young)

Since I don't have a living will, or any other type of will and haven't had an official conversation with my parents, I expect you my friends and interested readers to grant me these last few waning wishes...

1) Unplug the machine. (if I'm on one)

2) Give my organs away. If any of them can be used by anyone else. give them away! all of them!

3) I either want to be cremated or my body put directly into the ground. Ashes to ashes. My ashes can't become dirt if I'm in some pretty, big and expensive box. I love the ocean, so if I am cremated throw my remains in the ocean for me, preferably the Gulf Coast off of Florida.

4) I want a closed casket! No viewing! (Seriously! no looking at my cold dead body!) If you feel like you need to see me one last time, then there will be a 15 minute slideshow of pictures with some catchy and emotional songs playing in the background!

5) I want Blessed Assurance and Come thou Fount sung/played at my memorial service. I want the scriptures Philippians 2:1-10, Matthew 25 (the last half), and Galatians 3:26-29 all read. Oh and 2 Corinthians 5:17-21 and Isaiah 55.

5) Generally whatever else you all need done to grieve and celebrate my life, go for it.


In all seriousness, after working in the hospital and now going back to it, I have learned how important it is to express end of life issues with family AND friends. You never know what will happen and so if you have particular wishes, you need to make them known so that you dont put your loved ones in an awkward position later. Sure it will be an awkward conversation. This is probably an awkward post for some of you to read, but it's important, so do it!

1 comment:

  1. so you don't want a call to salvation or 'open the eyes of my heart' played (from a CD)? shucks.

    ReplyDelete