So tonight, my students and I talked about the Parable of the Two Debtors that is found within the story of the woman with the alabaster jar/box. It's found in Luke 7:36-50. What I find amazing about this story is the great love/thankfulness the woman shows Jesus. She put herself at great risk and great expense by performing this act. And Jesus ultimately forgives her sins because of her great love. As I talked about this with my students it forced me to ask the question what do we do to show our thankfulness to God for "saving our souls?" I admit often times I fail to really appreciate and be truly thankful for the cross (and the incarnation/resurrection for that matter). I think Christianity today takes it for granted.
This question led me to ask perhaps a more disturbing question- If we do not find ourselves constantly in a state of thankfulness for the love of God, have we truly experienced it? It seems that when God promises us life abundant, if we were actually living abundantly, our lives would look a little different and our attitudes would be very different. We would act out our faith like this woman does. (with great joy and happiness!)
In the midst of this Lent season as we look for and prepare for resurrection Sunday, the challenge is to find ways to be really and truly thankful for what God has done. And not just thankful in some head acknowledgement, but thankful in a way that really does transform our lives and stays with us each and every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment